Horizons Youth Services, which began in 1983, helps young people obtain the quality education and relevant job training skills they need to be competitive in today’s rapidly changing job market. HYS also focuses on providing young people with important life skills and a sense of responsibility that enables them to be productive citizens who can and do improve their communities and their world. Horizons Youth Services believes that programs must focus on the entire person, not just on educational and job training skills. As a result, Horizons Youth Services has developed and operated numerous innovative youth programs throughout its 30-year history that focus on leadership training and team development, including training specifically for Student Government officers at Job Corps centers.
Horizons Youth Services supports Job Corps center operations for the U.S. Department of Labor at the following centers:
- Muhlenberg Job Corps Center in Greenville, Kentucky
- Carl D. Perkins Job Corps Center in Prestonsburg, Kentucky
- Cleveland Job Corps Center in Cleveland, Ohio
- Charleston Job Corps Center in Charleston, West Virginia
- Potomac Job Corps Center in Washington D.C
- Whitney M. Young Job Corps Center in Louisville, Kentucky
- Blue Ridge Job Corps Center in Marion, Virginia
In addition to operating Job Corps Centers, HYS manages Outreach and Admission operations in Washington D.C, Kentucky; and Career Transition Services in Charleston, West Virginia.
Horizons Youth Services helps young people build bright futures for themselves and their communities by focusing on the development of skills that unleash the potential in them to become productive citizens. To be productive citizens, young people must:
- Understand and live by the values of honesty, respect and dependability.
- Be committed to continuous self-improvement and life-long learning.
- Contribute to and serve their communities.
Horizons Youth Services creates dynamic and responsive educational environments that enable young people to develop the knowledge, abilities and skills they need to succeed in today’s competitive job market, position themselves for future success, and create a love of knowledge, education and civic responsibility that will benefit them throughout their lives.